An allergy occurs when the body overreacts to an allergen or ‘trigger’ that is typically harmless to most people. The symptoms of an allergy range from mild to severe.
Many people recognize allergy symptoms such as a runny or stuffy nose, itchy, watery eyes and sneezing from dust exposure related to common household chores such as vacuuming, sweeping, and dusting. House dust exposure can also trigger asthma symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, chest tightness and shortness of breath.
House dust is a mixture of many substances and its content may vary from home to home.
Exposure to only small amounts of the offending allergen can cause allergy symptoms.
In addition, high levels of exposure to dust mite waste are known to be an important factor in the development of asthma in children.
There are many sources of information on reducing the levels of house dust and other allergens in your home.